Brief description of the project:
Our group’s aim was to raise awareness about men’s health in the Kingdom of Bahrain. We were inspired to focus on men’s health because it is often an overlooked topic in the Middle East. Additionally, the month of November was aligned with the international movement that is dedicated to the awareness of men’s health, celebrating male role models in our lives, improving gender relations & promoting gender equality
To raise awareness about men’s health, we collaborated with Bahrain Cancer Society (BCS) to hold a virtual Zoom session for BIBF’s students and staff. The awareness session covered Prostate Cancer symptoms, treatment, therapy & early detection advantages. The guest speaker leading the session was one of the society’s trusted experts. Dr. Akbar Jalal is the head of the Urology unit at al Salmaniya Medical Complex at the Kingdom of Bahrain. He has more than 14 years of experience in the field of Urology and Urological surgeries, Endourology and minimal invasive urological surgeries. Dr Akbar is also a consultant at Al Salam and Royal Bahrain hospital. He is a well-known and respected Doctor in his field and holds a strong passion towards raising awareness.
The awareness session took place on November 22nd, 2021, from 12:30 – 1:30 PM Bahrain time via Zoom and was facilitated by one of the group members. Moreover, as a group we created a video that raised awareness and highlighted important facts about Men’s health such as suicide, domestic violence, and depression. The video revolved around common facts presented by several students from the BIBF – DePaul MSHR 2022 Cohort. The video was posted on our Instagram account that has been created for raising awareness – @mens_day_2021. Our collaboration with BCS and BIBF was covered in a press release by The Daily Tribune newspaper on the 25th of November 2021.
Brief description of the charity:
The Bahrain Cancer Society is a voluntary non-profitable organization. Since 1989, the organization’s mission is to provide education and information to the public about causes of cancer, cancer treatment, and methods of prevention. The society has also been supporting relevant research studies undertaken by individuals, institutes and providing training for individuals participating in the field of cancer prevention. Over twenty years, the society has been successful in expanding its membership base to cover a wide range of all those concerned with cancer and its different aspects. It also has organized seminars and workshops to educate patients, medical staff, and concerned officials to assume their responsibilities and their role in the fight against cancer. The society has the following objectives:
- Raising public awareness.
- Promoting health education and emphasizing the importance of early detection and treatments and self-examination in cancer prevention.
- Strengthen the relationship among the patient, family, physician, and hospital.
- Social publishing booklets on cancer.
- Cancer Patient Support.
- Organizing lectures, seminars and workshops on cancer, its prevention and treatment.
- Cooperating and coordinating with local, regional, Arab, and international agencies to fight cancer.
- Participating in exhibitions and philanthropic activities held in Bahrain.
Factual analysis of success in terms of project objectives:
The awareness event takes place on November 22nd, 2021.
|25 participants attend the awareness session on November 22nd, 2021
|Refer to picture 5
|Creating an awareness video that includes 10 participants from the MSHR cohort 2022 & includes Professor Cook
|Refer to picture 4
|500 likes/views received on our social media campaign through our Instagram account.
Refer to picture 4
|Publish an article in Daily Tribune newspaper about our project before 30th November 2021.
Refer to “BIBF_DailyTribuneArticle_Group 2”
Two or three lessons learned about managing projects:
- Have a proper communication plan at an early stage of the project. Discuss communication preferences such as style, method, and frequency among team members. Expect people are different and try to accommodate these differences.
- All assigned tasks to team members need to have clear targets/deadlines. Additionally, create a process where check-in meetings take place among team members and updates, challenges, risks, and opportunities are discussed.
- Ensure to have the right documentation process where updates and changes are tracked. Access to the latest data and information is critical for the success of the project.
Advise for future teams doing similar projects:
- Create a comfortable environment where open communication, flexibility, support, and adaptability is part of the team’s core values. This is key to create harmony within the team.
- Identify each team member’s area of strength and weakness. This helps in allocating resources to tasks as per the availability of talent and skills.
- Create a contingency plan even if you are 100% sure you don’t need it.
- Use connections and social networks when and where you can. It can support the overall project in terms of getting information and reaching key stakeholders which help for the benefit of the project.
- Enjoy the different phases of the project, learn from the experience, and have fun as a team.
- Instagram Account
- Instagram homepage screenshot
- Instagram Statistics: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Group 2 meeting face to face to discuss implementation plan
- Group 2 emergency zoom call to discuss risks and worst/best case scenarios
- Project Managers’ weekly plans and track of documents
- Recorded Session of the Live Event: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sSXiE8AiTlc58Li_M1EUzLi-onEZAVz2/view?usp=sharing
- Post-event group face to face meeting
All files can be accessed on the following link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XeiKUM_wp07tRGILXWhqNyX-F614yEUa?usp=sharing