Under the current circumstances of COVID-19, the team wanted to raise funds and create awareness for a charity in a virtual setting. The team decided to create awareness through social media posts and emails as well as create a platform for raising money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Lymphoma is the 7th most common cancer diagnosed in humans and the most common cancer diagnosed in dogs. Because of these facts, it made a common point that the team could relate to and had passion for supporting. To drive awareness of the organization we requested participants to post photos with their pets using the phrase ‘Show us your paws!’ We were also able to raise funds by sharing our link to a GoFundMe platform.
The charity event will benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). LLS’ mission is to fight and cure blood cancers and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. They have been around since 1949 and have funded nearly 200 research grants around the world, accounting for roughly $1.3 billion in blood cancer research. Through their research, LLS has discovered that humans and dogs are 85% genetically identical and respond to cancer similarly. Because of this, LLS puts their research for a cure towards both humans and dogs.
Analysis of Success Measures
Increase awareness for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Best case: 3,000
Most likely: 2,000
Worst Case: 1,000
Raise funds for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Best case: $2,500
Most likely: $1,600
Worst Case: $1,000
- Personal Connection
- We chose a project that had a personal connection within our group.
- Helped to motivate our team and to reach our audience!
- Reach vs Conversion
- We found that many of our donations came with personal messages from the donors about the impact to them.
- We also saw significant reach on social media posts that did not receive the same conversion rate to donations as the pet community focused posts.
- Have Fun!
- As we moved through the project steps, we tried to maintain a fun atmosphere within our team and to communicate to our audience.
Advice for Future Teams
- Establishing a clear communication plan in the beginning of the project is crucial. Deciding on the cadence of team meetings and finding a time that works for everyone’s schedules will help mitigate communication and deadline issues.
- A responsibility matrix is also critical as it will allow the team to effectively manage their time apart to complete their tasks.