Final project description
We hosted a virtual 5K run to raise money for the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Multiple group members have fundraised and participated in their events and most team members have loved ones that have been impacted by rare cancers. All proceeds will be donated to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center to aid in research for a cure for rare cancers. The event was held over August 3-9, 2020. We set a distance of 5 kilometers for registrants to participate in any way they wanted: walk, run, bike, dance, treadmill, etc. Attendees pre-registered for the event and received an email with event information such as a race-day bib and a great playlist to listen to while they run.
Brief Description of the Charity: We hosted our event through a charity called Cycle for Survival where 100% of funds raised are donated to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) to directly fund clinical trials and research. About 50% of people with cancer have been diagnosed with a rare cancer (all pediatric, brain, pancreatic, ovarian) and Cycle for Survival helps raise awareness and funds for MSK.
Factual analysis of success in terms of project objectives:
- 15 Participants
- $1,000 raised
- Actual Success:
- 24 Participants
- $3,030 raised
Two or three lessons learned about managing projects:
- Be conscious of social and political climate when planning your event. We had the challenge of planning an event during a pandemic and ultimately decided a virtual event was the safest option, though we knew it would likely impact overall turnout and the amount of money we could raise.
- Plan ahead! Most of the work is completed before the project is implemented so you need to make sure you are working on the project before it’s too late to be able to successfully implement.
- Divvy up responsibilities and deliverables so that individual team members understand what they are accountable and responsible for.
Advice for future teams doing similar projects:
- If you work at a corporation, try to find out if there is a company match or grant that you can apply for. Putting in that time and effort to research really paid off for our project!
- If you’re hosting an event during a pandemic, we’d recommend having your project related to helping fight the pandemic. We found it difficult to raise funds for something not related to COVID-19 during these unprecedented times.
- Have fun! At the end of the day, any funds raised are going to a great cause and that’s something to be celebrated!
One thought on “5k MBA – Group 4”