Ethics and Social Responsibility

At the drop of a Hat, as I heard the professor describing the ethics and social responsibility part, I thought it’s like a cock and bull story, as I just came to the class from doing the same job, which is to incorporate the essence of Ethics and Social Responsibility in the company’s operation. It was just icing on the cake.

To keep your chin up, it is slightly harder at times when you find that operation managers should be able to produce safe and quality products without hindrance and also have to maintain clean and safe workplace environment. The phenomenon of workplace safety is of utmost importance but still we have this dilemma where we sometimes end up losing our colleagues at work site. To my way of thinking, all companies should try and ensure safety of their folks, therefore in the class discussion came up the idea that, How would DHL be ethical and socially responsible, this idea amplify my inquisitiveness and I turned on to their website where I found really appealing specifics.

DHL considers people and organizations, their stakeholders. DHL believes that “Our image as a company depends on how employees conduct themselves in the business world. There is no substitute for personal integrity and sound judgment”. It is embedded in their corporate values to strive for sustainable development of the business which is founded on the three pillars: economic performance, environmental stewardship and social responsibility.

The most astounding statement which appealed to me was DHL’s principal stance of following global laws where they operate and most significantly in terms of Human aspect which are guided by the principles of the United Nations’ Global Compact. DHL respect human rights within their sphere of influence and conduct the business in a manner that makes the organization, an employer of choice. And most importantly they adhere and respect the principles of the 1998 International Labor Organization’s “Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work” in accordance with national law and practice. This is to implement the safety and clean workplace environment, which in return will increase employee confidence at work and then DHL will profoundly be the preferred employer.

By reading the code of conduct DHL in respect of ethical and social responsibility, I wish our company embark on the same principal journey, but do you guys think that:

Are your organizations ethically and socially responsible? Do they honor shareholder commitments at the cost of losing their teammates by not providing clean and safe environment?

The link of the info is here: http://www.dp-dhl.com/en/about_us/code_of_conduct.html

One thought on “Ethics and Social Responsibility

1. First of all I was fond of the phrase “icing on the cake” skillfully put..

In my opinion ethics and social responsibility are two main streams in any business or service conduct where as it is one of the most essential Employee rights in any organization despite the sector; it is a human right according to globally defined laws which in some countries ethical issues are legally handled but in the same time there is no law consisting that an unethical issue must be a legal one and vice versa depending on the culture governing the country .. where as in law anything in the “ gray line ” is considered as an ethical case .
    yet the general well being of the employee and to be provided with a clean and safe environment to work in comes first regardless of his position , department , gender , nationality , age , etc ..
    As it comes to my organization being a professional financial institute it follows all consistent rules and conditions in the matter of employee welfare and provide the most healthy environment in respect with the principles of the International Labor Organization’s “Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work” in accordance with national law and practice being an international organization. Moreover , we have constant employee awareness programs of ethics at work , security and moral conduct either through e-learning techniques or internal/external courses ..most important is the mutual respect between colleagues and friendliness ..
    personally I believe that moral comes from within the person depending on the way he/she was raised in , culture , values , religion and experience throughout life. It’s not something to be taught but yet constantly reminded..