Getting Movie Theaters Back on Track

Who still goes to a movie theater on a regular basis? I know my trips to the movie theater have become few and far between. The main reason for my lack of going out to see a new movie is the ridiculous prices and the advancements of at home movie watching. In my opinion waiting a couple extra months and being able to watch it for half the price on my couch is much more relaxing then going to watch it on an over sized screen with a hundred other people. Has anyone else realized that the picture quality of a movie at the theater is actually worse than the quality of your T.V at home? That’s because in most cases it is. The technology at movie theaters hasn’t changed too much over the years and is in dire need of some type of innovation.

In the article “How to Get More People into Movie Theaters” by Dorothy Pomorantz she talks about this exact problem. She goes on to explain how theaters in recent years have thought that raising the prices would solve the problem for people who are deciding to stay at home. In reality it has just been delaying the inevitable and if something isn’t done soon most theaters will have to start shutting down. The article goes on to say what some film makers and theater owners are starting to do to solve this problem. The most innovative plan and one that really grabbed my interest was the Barco Escape idea. This was created by a Belgium company that produces digital projectors. What they did was put a screen on three separate walls giving the viewer a 270 degree image which would ultimately make the viewer feel as if they were a part of the script. This would be a new type of movie watching experience that you wouldn’t be able to get on your couch. Even though not every movie genre would be appropriate to watch like this I think it would bring back some desire to go out and experience this at the theater.Escape_demo_ruin-2-01885-e1412024071292-1940x1089

Our society today is all about new technology and wanting to be able to experience something that they have never done before. By giving people a more thrilling way to watch movies that can’t be replicated at home it will get people back into the theaters and won’t leave them with that feeling of being ripped off.

Do you agree that theaters need to come up with a new innovative way to make going to the theaters worth the price?

Would you consider going to a movie theater like the Barco Escape?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2014/09/30/how-to-get-more-people-into-movie-theaters-without-higher-ticket-prices/

11 thoughts on “Getting Movie Theaters Back on Track

1. As someone who enjoys going to the movies, I’m always annoyed by the high prices. I’d be much more inclined to go frequently with cheaper prices or if it was a theater like the Barco Escape. The 270 degree image of the Barco Escape seems like a good solution to the current problem movie theaters are facing. I think creating an experience different from watching a movie on your couch is key to making people want to go to the movies again. Like you said, the feeling of being ripped off is what keeps most people away. It simply isn’t worth the money to pay for something you can watch for free on your couch with even better quality.

2. Interesting post! I don’t go to the movie theaters as much as I used to. In fact, I can’t even remember the last movie I saw. I agree completely agree with you, I’d rather wait a few months and watch it at home comfortably. The prices are ridiculous and I don’t find it an entertaining place to go anymore. You made a great point the picture quality isn’t great because they haven’t improved their technology. I do think that theaters need to come up with a new way to attract customers. Going to the movies should be an experience that you can’t mimic at home. I would definitely go to a movie theater like Barco Escape because it’s something new and different. The 3-D technology would make you feel like your part of the movie and you can’t get that type of experience at home. Although not every movie genre would be appropriate for the script I still think it would be a great way to increase clientele.

3. I really enjoy going to the movies, but the prices do annoy me. Because of the prices, I have cut down on the movies I go to. I don’t know if theaters need to come up with a new, innovative way to make going to the theaters worth the price; this might affect some people but not others. Personally, I go to the movies just to watch them. And while yes, the quality isn’t as great as it is at home, I still enjoy it. The price is the only issue for me, not the technology, and with that, I usually go to the cheap theaters now. I think that the Barco Escape experience might increase customers for the theaters. But as someone who doesn’t even like 3D movies, I will probably not go.

4. I agree with everything you said. Like you mentioned I also don’t go to the movie theater as often because of the high prices. Watching the movie at the theater is basically a similar experience to watching a movie at home but less expensive. I also agree that movie theaters should try to improve their technology. Making going to the movie theater a unique experience not something that people can do at home.

5. I completely agree that movie theaters need to think of new innovations to make the experience of going to the movies worthwhile. The 270 degree image would certainly entice customers to return to the theater. I would be willing to try it once. I think what would be interesting to see is how the 270 degree picture would impact the price of tickets. I know that when my friends and I decide to see a movie (after much planning and discussion because who wants to pay $10 for a movie they aren’t interested in) we always make sure it’s 2-D and not 3-D. I personally am not a fan of 3-D movies, but we all agree we don’t want to pay the extra cost. As most of the comments and the post have suggested, cost is a major factor in the decrease in movie theater attendance, so the cost of the Barco Escape experience is something for theaters to keep in mind.

6. I completely agree that movie theaters are way too over priced. However, I still tend to find myself purchasing a ticket once in a while. For me, it’s all about the experience–the big screen, surround sound, and excitement of a newly released film. Yes, some of these factors can be replicated within ones home, but there definitely is a different feel of a theater. It’s very similar to cooking a meal at home versus going out to a restaurant. It’s all for the EXPERIENCE. Making theaters more innovative will just give more value to the expensive dollars we pay for movies. Therefore I greatly support this idea, especially with the amazing technology our world now has to offer.

7. Great post! In today’s society there are many choices and businesses must fight very hard to capture attention. But, I can’t say this about the movie theaters. As you pointed out most of the locations lack new technology, and that is the key to be successful. By investing in high tech audio and visual experience then their increase in price could be justified. As of now they are stuck with the old model and charging arms and legs. It is very sad that public places are becoming unpopular, and our society is becoming more and more isolated from one another. Most of us have fine-art home surrounding systems, with whatever great gadget complimenting. But as long as our living rooms have a better movie experience this trend will continue.

8. Awesome post! I thought it was a very interesting perspective on operations management! I completely agree that movie theaters are very over priced. The other day I saw a movie for $12 and all I kept thinking about is that for 4 more dollars I could buy the DVD and own it forever. So I think making it an experience I can’t get at home may make up for the extra cost. I would be more willing to spend that money if it was a service I couldn’t get anywhere else. I think the Barco Escape sounds like a very intriguing idea. It’s definitely something I’d want to experience. I’m not sure how I would actually feel about it… On another note, this article reminded me of the movie theater by my apartment. They recently renovated so that every theater has giant black reclining chairs and I love it. Every time I left, I would feel more relaxed than I have in a while. For that reason alone, I almost look for reasons to go to this theater. I love the experience so I am willing to pay (and it’s cheaper than most other theaters in the city). I think theaters should definitely reexamine their operations management and see what they can do to bring people to theaters again.

9. I haven’t been to a movie theater in a few months, but the last time I went there was one room in the theater that offered a “4d experience” which just means they spray water at you and the seats vibrate. I was bummed out that I couldn’t try it, but it wasn’t offered for the movie I was going to see which was Sin City 2. I feel like people would go to the movie theaters more often if they were to become more interesting experiences, like you said. Soon we will see more innovation across the country.

10. I completely agree….. movies and movie theaters are just not what they used to be. Remember when we were younger, and going to the movies was exciting and entertaining? I can’t say that movie theaters give me that same effect today. There does seem to be several problems with movie theaters. The first being the price of the ticket; it’s outrageous! And after buying the ticket, you almost feel as if you have buyer’s remorse. Secondly, after the ticket has been bought, you don’t even have money left for popcorn and candy. It’s ridiculous. Thirdly, the quality of the movies are lacking as well. Like you said, the visual quality is poor. Additionally, the sound is either too loud with the music, so nothing is heard, or else, the high pitch sound of the actors’ voices makes the dialogue sound muffled.
    I definitely feel like movie theaters need to do something to fix all of the issues they have going on, or the movie theater business will become a thing of the past. I think new innovative technology would bring more people back to the theaters. I think the Barco Escape might be one effective way; however, depending on the genre, this movie might be medically unsound for some people. The movie theaters need to do something creative to bring people back, and hopefully it will be soon.

11. I haven’t been at the movie theater in a long time. Like you said the technology in the movie theater hasn’t changed a lot and the tickets are too expensive. Also on the other side people nowadays have big screen TV’s at home and they will wait to watch it online after a couple months. The idea of having a 270 degree image would be great and would attract more people. So the movie theaters should invest in technology like Barco Escape. By investing in new and attractive technology like this people will come back. If you not make changes in an environment where the technology is changing rapidly, it is more likely that a lot of movie theaters will go out of business.