Are Super-size Smartphones the New Tablets?

Over the years, the sizes of smartphones are getting bigger and bigger. Designers are beginning to create phones with the idea of the bigger the better. The best sellers for smartphones are the ones with the larger screens. The resolution for the screen is as high as 1080p. Smartphones are becoming the size of tablets. This means small tablets can soon replace smartphones by implementing it with the same functions.

For example, Android smartphones have grown in size over the years, from “4 inches, quickly followed by 4.3 inches and 4.5 inches, and now up to 5 inches and even beyond” (Tofel 2). Android created their products according to their consumers’ desires. The majority of the people wanted larger screens of “4.5 inch display or larger” (Tofel 2), which made using it more enjoyable. Most people use their phones for web browsing rather than to use it for calls. A larger smartphone means users will need to hold it with two hands. The convenience and mobility of using it with two hands is not a problem, because most people use it while they are sitting down. The majority of the consumers want larger screens, which is about 77% of the people. What about the other 23% of the consumers who do not desire the large screens? Android will lose about 23% of their consumers to their competitors with smaller phones available.

The growth of smartphone functions has made it necessary to increase the screen size. The more functions that are put into the phone, the more pixels are needed for the graphics to look visually good. Research has shown that most consumers’ ideal good quality smartphone are the ones that offer the most functions and has the largest screen. It is also viewed as a better value for their money. The dimensions of quality define this as user-based. It is the products with the desired attributes that satisfies the consumers’ needs the most. In this case, smartphone consumers want more functions and a larger screen. The product attributes only meet the needs of majority of the consumers. Android phones are designed to appeal to the majority and neglecting those who do not want a larger screen. The problem with this is that, not all consumers want the same product attributes. The quality is determined by the consumer’s needs and wants them self.  The product attributes need to meet the customer’s expectations for them to be satisfied.

As a consumer myself, if a phone can do more than other phones can for the same price, it would be considered a better deal. The size of the phone does matter to me, as it has to fit in my pocket for convenience. I would prefer to have a smaller phone than a larger phone that requires two hands to hold. My idea of a good quality phone is different from other consumers because it has to fit my needs. The quality of a product is subjective and every consumer’s needs and wants are different.

Questions:

• What is your idea of a good quality phone?
  • Is it true that most smartphone consumers want bigger screens?
  • Do you think tablets will soon be replaced by smartphones?

Articles:

4 thoughts on “Are Super-size Smartphones the New Tablets?

1. This was a good read and definitely reflects the trend that I am seeing. It seems that what most people are looking for in a phone is essentially a handheld computer, which is why the functionality of phones seems to be growing. People want to be able to do with their phones what they can do with their computers from just about anywhere, which is what has led to the rise of tablets. It seems that so far computers are being replaced by tablets as they are more convenient for traveling. Smartphones are already replacing tablets because of the size. To go even further, smartphones and tablets may even replace televisions since watching content from those devices is on the rise, which is why more and more people are going for the bigger, higher resolution screens and better performance metrics that are generally associated with good computers.

2. I think a good phone has two things a good battery life and a good camera. I don’t look for a big screen phone although I have one. When it was time for my mom to get a new phone we where looking for the biggest phone screen available because she has vision problems. This is a great example of different product attributes for different consumer needs

3. I agree with those above in saying that current trends show that many consumers want a larger screen size which reflects a mini computer. Trends show that as technology advances, more consumers want a product that has multiple functions. Although this is the case for many people, I believe it takes away from the quality of devices. I would rather have multiple devices that each have its own function. I enjoy having a phone to make calls, play games, and explore other applications. On the other hand I enjoy using a computer to surf the internet and conduct business. I think that as times are changing and society demands larger screens, tablets will be replaced and we will be left with larger phones and computers.

4. In our generation, we desire the best device that carries numerous of convenient features. Cell phones are taking over the technology industry as it can be applied to anything. Calculators, games, and cameras are just the beginning. Do you remember the iPod? They are almost extinct, as every cell phone accepts the storage of music. With all these new features, cell phones are starting to eliminate the need for any other products. This article implies how the large screen cell phone is becoming a substitute for the tablets. The demand for cell phones will bring them to the top of the industry, dominating all of its competitors. Android’s strategy of targeting the majority of the population may succeed, as their margins will be higher. However, they need to come out with a product that will be open to the entire population. Their flexibility will give them a strong reputation.