Blackberry fighting for attention

The cellphone market has been mainly dominated by two types of phone, Samsung and Apple. With this being said, Blackberry is trying even harder to regain momentum in the market. They recently launched their new Blackberry 10 operating system earlier this year known as Research in Motion Ltd. which now does business as Blackberry.

Since BlackBerry has to compete with Samsung and Apple which have been known for having full touch screen phones, Blackberry was forced to come out with a new style phone. They  launched their first smartphone running on their new OS  which is a full-touch screen Blackberry Z10. Blackberry did not forget about their loyal customers that like the keyboard on the phone  so to retain these long time customers with them they decided to  make a second phone know as the Blackberry Q10.

According to an interview given to Blackberry Chief Marketing Officer, Frank Boulben, he mentioned that two trends emerged much more rapidly than they had anticipated. Especially the move of the touch screen phones pretty much all over the wold. Coming to these complications, they knew that Blackberry has another option. They can either become a licensee of the Android or Windows mobile operation system, or they can build a new operation system.  To make sure that they are able to attract the best customers  you have the option of buying a entry level priced phone, a medium level and  higher version. Where they attract the customers is here, they show their customers that you can buy any of the three options but they all still run in the same operating system, so they make it easier for the customer to choose the perfect phone. Since China is the biggest smartphones market, it is leading Blackberry to invest more money in that country.

I believe the cell phone market is a tough market to remain in especially when you were such a competitive business. Blackberry is doing a good job in keeping up with all the different changes and staying up to date with the new systems. Now if they can they can maybe one day be in the top positions like Android and Apple they will be more known and better appreciated for their new products.

5 thoughts on “Blackberry fighting for attention

1. I agree that Blackberry is trying to fight for the public’s attention since their competitors are so strong. I remember that there was a period of time when the majority of business people owned Blackberry phones. But, now it seems like this segment of consumers are using mainly Android or Apple Phones. I can tell that Blackberry is really trying to step up their game by coming out with an all touch screen phone to meet the demands of the consumers. Even though their signature design of their phones is the keyboard.

2. Blackberry is definitely tying to become a dominated factor in the market but it’ll take time. This company had a lot of loyal customers in the past so if Blackberry’s products are implemented correctly at the right moment (when a company like Apple faults) it could yield positive results. With technology moving so fast and advancing this market could be up for grabs with creativity and innovation.

3. Consumer electronics are in one of the most competitive and fast paced industries in the world. Although Blackberry used to be a dominant player in the smartphone market, I don’t think its possible for them to re-gain the market share they once had. The iPhone, along with Samsung phones have been on the market for years now. Blackberry is definitely making a good effort, but in this industry, they are a few years to late.

4. Up until recently I have been a devout blackberry user, I had one throughout high school till March of this year. I switched to a Samsung because I was ready to move on. However, I still believe in Blackberry as a company. I am heavily invested in Blackberry ($BBRY) which has done quite well over the past 8 months. Blackberry is a misunderstood and underrated company. I think people fail to realize that A) Thorstein Heins has done a great job to stop the bleeding that Jim Balsillie started. B) It is a Canadian company not American. C) It is doing poorly in U.S. but holding up strong around the world (Parts of Europe, India, and Asia-not China). D) They have several strong assets that companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Samsung don’t have. E) Blackberry users are a very loyal people (75 million). Blackberry is too valuable of a company to just go under because of those assets I mentioned above. Which are, patents and other intellectual property across several hardware and software technologies, server software that is proven secure and cross-platform, a leading automobile infotainment platform with QNX, A strong operating system with what most people agree has a great user interface-BB10. (LINK) For all of these reasons I believe Blackberry will be bought out by one of the tech giants, and Thorstein Heins has done a great job to keep this once beloved company afloat.