Microsoft and Apple

Forum Added for the Microsoft Surface

You may or may not have heard about the Apple iPad.  Most likely you have heard about this great device, but did you hear about the tablet Microsoft is proposing?  Microsoft is entering the tablet world with its new product called Surface.  Surface is being introduced not only with consumer’s in mind but with businesses in mind.  With Surface, Microsoft is trying to make a tablet that can compete in the iPad market.

Many of the computers used today in the business world are PCs.  In case you didn’t know, Microsoft is predominately a software company who does much of its hardware by outsourcing.  When Microsoft made this tablet, they decided to build not only the software, but also the hardware.  When a company chooses to not outsource on a project like this, they are basically saying, “We want it done right so we are going to do it”.  The software installed into the product is the new Windows 8 software, which along with Surface doesn’t come out until the fall.  When making the hardware, Microsoft wanted it to be kept completely secret.  They told only a select  group of people and wanted suppliers to keep quiet about the parts getting put into the tablet.  Do you think this secrecy will make the consumers want to buy the product?  I think by giving a little information about the product will build up suspense for consumers and drive up demand.

Apples iPad is extremely convenient and is why Apple has sold so many products.  Microsoft is also trying to join the convenience market, but not just for consumer.  One key object of Surface is the USB port.  Microsoft decided to put this in with the business world in mind.  Business men or women will no longer have to carry around the bulky laptops and can easily upload documents into the USB port.  Another convenient aspect of this product is the cover is also a keyboard.  Unlike Apple, Microsoft is including this keyboard in the price.  Every Source tablet also includes a kickstand so the screen stands up like a regular PC.  The iPad and the Source are both similar in size and image quality.

When forecasting sales for this product, I think Microsoft should look towards selling as many as Apple did when they came out with their product.  Apple is well known for the quality of their product and Microsoft is trying to keep up with them.

The main concern is Microsoft going to be able to compete in this market? So, do you think the market will want Surface compared to the iPad? Also, how do you think the quality will compare to the Apple brand?

http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/forum-added-for-the-microsoft-surface/

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/20/technology/microsoft-surface-hardware/

6 thoughts on “Microsoft and Apple

1. I read the article about the “Surface” on monday and watched the video as well. It was very intriguing. The Microsoft “Surface” and the Apple IPad define the tablet market for consumers. The market advantage for Microsoft is that they are delivering two distinct targets – business individuals and home consumer. The business world relies off of Microsoft based software. The advantage of developing hardware is not just “wanting to do it right” but seeing the niche that exists. After reviewing the tech specs these two products come into a strong competition, specifically within the configuration and clarity. In my opinion, Microsoft is adopting Apple’s behavior for marketing. Years ago, in 1984, when the first Apple computer was released, Steve Jobs created a groundbreaking commercial. Not one shot of the computer was used and it added even more mystery for the consumer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8
    Microsoft is using this as well. Additionally, with the release today of the Windows Phone, they are directing attention to the most successful hardware of the competitor.

2. I believe that Microsoft will do very well in their sales of Surface because people are so eager to have the “new thing”. Also, by having the USB opening in the Surface a lot of students will be interested in having this product because they wont have to carry their laptops around. It is also targeting business people who also will not have to carry their laptops with them and by having the keyboard included with the package makes it a big plus. My only question what will be the price for Surface?

3. I really think that Apple and Microsoft have their own separate consumers. Me, having Microsoft products, didn’t really feel the urge to get the new MAC books or the new iPad. Maybe it is because I am content with my Vaio, or maybe its because I don’t see the point in having a laptop and a tablet, but I do think that Microsoft will have strong sales of their Surface tablet. I think it may be hard for Microsoft, however, because of Apple recently coming out with all of their new upgraded products.

4. I believe that Microsoft will be able to compete with Apple in the tablet market. Although Apple is the leader in this area Microsoft is a very strong and competitive company. They may not be able to reach sales compared to Apple but I don’t think the product will fail. The Surface has things about it that the iPad doesn’t.. and vice versa. People are especially drawn to tablets because of their size. Computers are soon going to be a thing of the past. Microsoft is a leader in computers so think of this as a new computer they are coming out with. Not everyone out there is an Apple lover, those who don’t want an iPad may want the Surface. However, I think that Apple doesn’t a fantastic job with their product quality and most can’t compare. I think the Surface will be great but I don’t know if I believe it will be able to top the iPad.

5. I was reading about “Surface” and saw something interesting. It says that in 2002 Bill Gates introduces the Tablet PC. No one cares. In 2010 Steve Jobs introduces the iPad. Big success. 2012 Steve Ballmer introduces the Surface. People claim they stole the idea from Apple. (First-mover advantage is a myth)
    I really think Surface will be successful in the market because it has a lot of attractive features. agree with Natalie that Apple and Microsoft have their own separate consumers, I don’t know if Surface can compete with the iPad but I don’t think it will fail.

6. Microsoft is back on the rise with coming out with this tablet, no one thought that there would be a another tablet that would compete with Apple but Microsoft want to fire back. This windows 8 tablet just make that best mini computer with the attachable keyboard that able’s the user to use it like a computer and is going to make that windows 8 tablet success.