Acura NSX- new competition

In an article written by Jonathan Welsh“ Acura NSX Won Big with Super Bowl Spot, Survey Says,” Jonathan explains the significance of promoting a product during the Super Bowl commercials because even though commercials are extremely expensive during the break, they surely do pay off in the future. Acura is and always has been a luxury brand of automobiles. Acura with its new model NSX, which is not in production yet, made already a significant success according to AutoTrader.com. The views of NSX were significantly higher compared to other automobiles which were advertised during the Super Bowl commercials. A 30-second ad during the break of Super Bowl costs $3.5 million dollars. Acura had spent a lot of money on promoting their upcoming vehicle because their commercial was defiantly longer than the 30-seconds. Jonathan states in his article that, “searches for the Acura NSX  were up 1,800%, compared with 370% for the runner-up Toyota Camry and 360% for the third-place Fiat 500. The Hyundai Veloster at 302% and Chevrolet Sonic with 275% completed the top five”. Ad of Acura NSX was very creative and what stands out the most is the style of the car itself, it is very eye catching and looks sexy! I was one of those people who were watching commercials during Super Bowl and searching more information about the NSX at the same time.

Acura wants to satisfy their customers by giving them what they want and expect, and in exchange, customers give Acura respect and continuous business. Despite many top brands, Acura is trying to compete with their great looking models, and get ahead of other brands. NSX is scheduled to come in 2013 and the price for this model is unknown yet but it should be around $100K. Not many people will be able to afford this car but the ones who do, I am positive will not be disappointed with their choice. If I would have the money to buy any car I would defiantly go with Acura NSX just because of Acura’s great reputation of how long their cars can last and are very dependable, and of course because of  their great styles.

Acura is a luxury car, and in result, the price value is higher than other brands such as for example,Toyota, Nissan or BMW. Acura started to promote their new model NSX even though it is not in production yet, however it already has a high demand of interest for this model. Many customers are not so happy with the fact that they set their mind on NSX and now they have to wait till 2013 for it to come out.

What do you think about Acura NXS? Is it worth of waiting? And if so, is it worth of paying around $100K for it?

References

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/02/06/acura-nsx-won-big-with-super-bowl-spot-survey-says/

18 thoughts on “Acura NSX- new competition

1. That part of marketing is just like hype for boxing you want to being in the crowd which is great becuase it will be just like everyone lining up for the iphone 5 and ipad 4. People want to be the first to grab the first ones before eveeryone gets their NSX. The cost for promoting that can result in 100 millions sells or even selling out of NSX to people who can afford the car is possible. Lets just what the waitlist going to be like.
    A very nice car also so.

2. The model of this car is pretty similar with the model of Audi R8 which has been coming out for awhile; meantime, the price of this car is lower than the one of Audi; therefore, it can capture the attention from people who like the Audi one and cannot afford. Acura NXS is a new model and has used the advertisement during Super Bowl Spot; therefore, it became even attractive to those big fans of the concept car. However, in my view, the waiting time happens to be a disadvantage part of the strategy in this marketing. Because the time is too long for people to holding their momentary passion of the mind to get this car when they first sew the advertisement. What’s more, during the time of waiting, people may going to purchase another car what will cancel their mind of buying this one. Finally, there maybe more new models of different price level coming up from various car companies, by the time, Acura will have more competitors.

3. The Acura NXS is a classic racing machine made for the street. It is known for its balanced-design; mid-engine placement for optimal weight distribution, proper ratio in engine power and transmission gearing, and superb handling and braking.

With its production discontinued back in the mid 90’s (if I remember right), Acura was missing a “flagship” vehicle in their product line to make themselves standout among competitions. It only makes sense for Acura to relaunch the NXS in the attempt to reestablish their prestige and reputation.

The anticipated wait would not diminish NXS sales figure because people are willing to wait for a product that is proven to be exceptional. Yes, for 100K you can buy other sports cars that are faster than the NXS. But you wouldn’t be able to find another car that is better designed than the NXS at 100K. The NXS is more than just an car; it is an art.

4. The Acura NSX is going to be as big the the commercial mad it out to be. Have two of the biggest car collectors in the commercial(Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld) also helps. The NSX is going to be expensive but and most people in the country won’t be able to afford it because if the bad economy. That is the problem with most cars, people love to get new cars but have a hard time affording them. Acura is a company that make luxury cars and they have always done that and they will be successful selling that is car.

5. It’s hard to say if any car is worth paying $100,000 for but if I were to spend that much money on a car, the NSX would be one of the first on my wish list because of the reputation that Acura has as being a modern, dependable, luxury brand. I agree with you that there are not too many cars out there that have a sleeker design than the NSX. Ultimately, the people who do end up buying the NSX are most likely buying it as a status symbol and not simply as a transportation vehicle. As far as the Super Bowl advertisement goes, I believe that if the web searches were up 1,800% then the ad caught the attention of the consumer, and I view that as a successful ad campaign.

6. Having Acura advertise during the superbowl just shows how serious they are about their product and how competitive the market has gotten in the past 5 years. It is hard for me to say that advertising a product such as the NSX that is still a concept and unavailable to purchase is successful marketing campaign. In the past, the Chevrolet has advertised the new Camaro in the movie “Transformers” many people after seeing that movie wanted to go and purchase the very famous bumblebee car, however, you could not. The car was still a concept and people could not even place orders in advance. I find this approach what Acura and Chevy did questionable.

7. First of all, I have to say that is one of my favorite Super Bowl commercials. Having Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno endorse this car, especially during a Super Bowl commercial is pretty impressive and like the comment above me says, shows how serious Acura is about their product and how competitive the market has become. The NSX is unlike any Acura I’ve ever seen – when you think of these types of cars, Acura isn’t the first brand that comes to mind – but it looks like Acura is trying to change that. I’m not a big car guy so I can’t say much about what I think of the product, but in terms of advertising I think Acura did an outstanding job with the Super Bowl commercial. Apparently AutoTrader analysts found that searches for the Acura NSX were up 1,800% after the ad aired on tv, compared to a 370% boost for the runner up Toyota Camry – now that is pretty impressive if you ask me!!! (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/02/06/acura-nsx-won-big-with-super-bowl-spot-survey-says/)

8. I think what is so important about this article is the marketing in regards to the commercial and the percentage that you pulled. The car itself is a great product and obviously a luxury brand, dating back to the Honda ownership and the two different lines they possess. The marketing for the NSX is great, but I believe on the wrong product. They should have worked on a car that was more mainstreamed for the general public (such as the TL or MDX) because only a small percentage of the population will be able to purchase this car. Yet, if the marketing team wished for a stigma of “fast, cool, flashy, and wealth” associated with Acura (which it already possesses, especially in advanced packages), they met the demand. This is the link for the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LofPu0ycbo

9. May be the interest for a car has grown up, but you never know if this commercial was worth it, because it looks like a future car and not a lot of people didn’t know about it, so most people could just check the car. However, the idea of showing it during the super bowl is brilliant and a lot of different companies would love to give a commercial during the super bowl. It is good, that more people got to know about this Acura after the super bowl, but there is no proof of success of the car especially when it costs $100,000. And from my point of view, I would never spend $100,000 on Acura.
    Also I heard about Samsung – Apple battle in super bowl this year. Samsung spent huge amount of money showing their new phone in their commercial. Apple spent nothing on commercial, but every person who was shown in the ceremony of super bowl was using iphone and everyone could see it on their TVs.

10. I think the Acura did a brilliant job marketing the NSX, I mean it was impossible for someone not to Google this car after watching the super ball commercial. But is it worth the wait and the price tag of approximately 100k? Personally speaking I would say no and here is why. First of all, The NSX is considered to be a super sport car which means it has to compete in all three super sport categories engine/speed, design/look, and performance/handling. Starting with the engine I was quite disappointed that the NSX has only a 6 cylinder hybrid engine that produces around 400hp which can get you from 0-62mph in less than 5 seconds. Not bad but when comparing it to let’s say the Nissan GT-R 2013 which has a 6 cylinder engine and cost about the same. It does 0-62mph in 2.8 seconds, that’s almost half the time of the NSX. Moving to the design the Acura looks amazing starting with the LED lights which makes it look more aggressive, to the sharp edges of the body for a better aerodynamic stability. There isn’t much information about the handling in this car since it’s won’t be out until 2013, but on paper it should perform well since the engine is placed in the center of the car and it has the All-Wheel-Drive system. At the end, I’ll never spend 100k on this car not because it’s not a good car, but because there are better options in the market.

11. With the cars price being $100,000 I would rather go for another luxurious brand than an Acura. The people who actually have $100,000 would also go for buy another luxurious brand due to the fact that they are already buying Mercedes Benz and Bentley’s and to me I don’t think they would want to invest in a Acura which is I think is more of a middle-class luxurious brand. Another thing is people already have forgotten about the car because the only time I’ve seen the commercial for this car was back in February and people tend to forget things if they aren’t reminded of it.

12. I believe that Acura is a very reliable brand because of personal experience. These cars last very long, and have a great quality but this car is $100,000 and I do not think people are going to want to buy an Acura which is not the most luxurious brand out there for that amount. If someone has enough money to buy a $100,000 vehicle I would think they would want to buy a Bentley, Ferrari or Porsche. There is a hype about waiting for an item and being the first to obtain it, but this is a long wait and I bet people will forget about it and move on to another car.

13. This car is really impressive and the advertisement was exceptionally done as well. The only question I would have would be or timing of the commercial. Building up a bunch of hype for the car isnt going to do much for Acura if the people forget about car. They advertised in February 2012 for a car that isn’t going to be in production until 2013. I think waiting until next year to promote th car would have been a more cost effective advertising strategy than pumping out about 7 million to promote the car now. Also, Acura is entering a new territory here with a high end luxury car. When people think of Acura, they tend to think more of reliability than luxury. It will be interesting to see if this car can challenge the German brands and Lexus in that market.

14. I think that Acura made an interesting decision by starting their promotions a year before they’ve even started production. While they can reap the rewards of advertising during the super bowl, is it worth it to do it a year in advance. why not wait til next year. It will be interesting to see if the hype lasts til next year or fizzles out.

15. To begin with, I think Acura has done an amazing job with their commercial. The commercial is one of the few commercials out there that will remind them of Acura. For example Geico, People often remember Geico by the little lizard in the commercial. Personally speaking, after watching the advertisement during super bowl, I remembered the commercial but not the car.

I believe, though Acura released the commercial at Superbowl, it was too early for them to do that. If the car is not coming out until 2013, they could have waited till next year. So people can buy the car after watching the car, rather than having them wait or forget about it.

Though the car looks promising, it does not fall under the same category as some of its peers such as, BMW, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Audi and etc. If I had $100,000 I would rather spend that money on other cars such as Audi, Lamborghini, Porsche and etc. But However, if the car was little cheaper, I would definitely buy the car.

16. Is it worth waiting? This is a very interesting question. It was mentioned that some people would be upset that they have to wait till 2013 to purchase the car. I would assume that most people do not just go out and purchase a car on the spot. It is a process that may take a while until you discover the car you would like to purchase, especially since you will most likely hold onto it longer. With that being said Acura most likely realizes this and decides that if it plants the seed early, people will hold onto and wait for the car…after all they do purchase them only so often. They can then check to see how many people have been searching that car and see what the general interest in purchasing it. They can assume sales and produce enough vehicles to match the demand and keep everyone happy. Is it worth waiting? I probably would if I wanted it. Is it nice? Definitely. Now, is it worth 100k? That really depends on what you have in your pocket.

17. You did a great job with this post. I learn about this in one of my marketing classes. Some
    People are compulsive buyers and just go and buy the car without thinking about all the important factors. Some people go to different locations or keep coming back to the locations. They think hard on the decision and they try and lower the prices. Sometimes a mix of both can be good. However it’s important to do research on the car or all sorts of things such as who has bought it and what it really goes for etc.

18. The original poster asked “What do you think about Acura NXS? Is it worth of waiting? And if so, is it worth of paying around $100K for it?”
    I applaud Acura for its hybrid-engineering milestone. However, I would not purchase the NXS even if I could afford it. After viewing the Acura website, I am under the impression that the NXS is intended to be a competitor to the hybrid Lexus LS 600hl. Both cars cost approximately 100k to 120k, both are hybrid luxury vehicles, and I would assume that other variables are too ambiguous to compare. However, the Lexus has one distinctive feature that Acura lacks; automatic parallel parking. Aside from this advantage, Lexus has more experience in the luxury hybrid market and hence its features are probably more perfected than Acura’s. In brief, the opportunity cost of not buying the Lexus LS exceeds the benefit provided by purchasing the NXS.