Are You Smarter Than A CEO?

Are you smarter than a CEO?

After “The Gaming Company” I realized that every decision affects your company’s overall success. One decision can also dictate your company’s future performance. During the activity, I made an error on the evaluation sheet, which prompted me to suggest we not order for a second week. Unfortunately, we got hit with significant inventory costs for the next week.

This leads me to my question:

Are you smarter than a CEO?

Wait, before you answer that, ask yourself this:

Could you take over Apple, Microsoft, Google, or Facebook and keep them as leading innovators?

Hold on, do you have the experience?

As much as it may hurt your ego, the answer is NO. That is not to say that it is impossible. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Larry Page, and Mark Zuckerberg all started their companies with little to no experience.  What happened before their companies reached the status of instant recognition?

All the companies listed above have faced critical decisions, where missteps could have cost them greatly.  Management, especially at the CEO level, is the driving force to a company’s success. An example of this is a company that may have the best Accountants, with one problem, their accounting for a lot of losses and debt. Management is a very broad word which has many approaches that may be effective. I think what all successful managers have in common is the ability to adapt.

I also noticed the importance of leadership/management at my company’s 4Q earnings report meeting. My company’s management has historically taken a decentralized approach to the management of its various entities. One analyst was concerned that he was beginning to see the company becoming more centralized. Of course as business students we all know that this would give more management control to the corporate level of the company. This could effectively change the entire way a company operates, which may lead to increased or decrease production.

So do you think you are smarter than a CEO?

Remember one last factor, there is millions of dollars on the line, not a pack of Starbursts!

If you do, give me the reason in one sentence.

9 thoughts on “Are You Smarter Than A CEO?

1. I know that I could not run a multimillion dollar company. However, one thing the companies you listed above all have in common are leaders with a vision. Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg all had this great vision to change the world of technology as we know it. They didn’t let anyone talk them out of it, they went with their gut instinct and look where that got them. They are now one of the world’s most recognizable names in innovation.

2. I think all of us have at some point million dollar idea however very few people continue to make their idea a reality. Financial or time situations might prevent us from working on our dream however I think we should never stop and once we get a chance just make it happen. Well downside of it is the fear of failure however I think that by having all the knowledge that we have today should not bring any fear.

3. I will admit, I probably wouldn’t run Apple, Facebook, or other companies as such because to be a leader, you need to have the vision to be able to manage all that goes into being the best. If Steve Jobs left me his company in a will, I could try keeping the reputation up but no one can share the vision that Mr. Jobs had but himself. What would I know about leading one of the top companies?

4. I don’t think I can be a CEO of such high profile companies that you mentioned, but I will tell you this: I think I can make wiser decisions that some CEOs out there. It amazes me how some CEOs of various comapnies make such poor decisions. Must I remind you that they get paid millions of dollars per year for it? Take for instance the CEO of Enron and Bernie Madoff. CEOs are to be the face of the company, and the role models for other employees. They are to drive the company to success. But some decide to let greed take the best of them, and decide to drive the company down. I don’t think that’s a smart CEO.

So to answer your question: YES, I am smarter than some CEOs!

5. At this point in life I don’t feel that I could be a CEO and run such a large company (successfully), but maybe some day. But I do think that there are people out there that are young that have the ability to run million dollar companies. Also, there are a ton of aspects to companies and many different ways that a company can operate. After taking this class I have learned more about how companies operate, but there is still a lot more out there that I don’t know. I don’t feel that I would be prepared to run a successful million dollar company at this moment.

6. I definitely wish i could run a multimillion dollar company, the experience i would get out of it would be a lifetime worth. I know it would be a tough task but i do agree that steve jobs etc. are people who in vision future success, people with no doubt in their mind that what they where doing is going to change the world. I think its interesting that you brought that to everyones attention. People sometimes dont realize the hard-work that goes behind all the success.

7. I think a great point you mentioned is, “all successful managers have in common is the ability to adapt.” I do think being able to respond to diversity is a key component to managing a large firm or company. These great CEO’s of financial stable and productive companies didnt do it by themselves. These CEOs did have great ideas but running a company cannot be done alone at the CEO position. They are receiving advice from the top advisors in the country. However, they do eventually make the final decisions and obviously they have been making the right ones. I do not think anyone can be a great CEO without a lot of help.

8. I don’t think I could run a multi-million dollar business because I don’t feel I haven’t gained enough experience to run a business. The only way one could run a multi-million dollar business is if he/she has created a product he/she invented the product and knows everything about the product. The people that you’ve listed had their own ideas and know everything about the product that they are selling at their company.

9. “Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.” Yes, no one knows what is going to happen in the future. So I cannot say I will smarter than a CEO or not. Maybe I can become a CEO in one day, maybe I can run a firm even though it won’t be a big firm likes Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook. I always believe that if a person is creative, decisive, and has great vision of the market, she/ he can be a CEO. As a commerce student, I am learning the concepts of managing, being sharper, stronger and more confident to apply our career. As you mentioned, Steve Job had a lot of great ideas to develop the new products and great vision of the market. I think being creative, ability and has passion on work is one of the aspect for becoming a CEO. I think a CEO need to have really great manager skills. That is what we need to learn from books and commerce classes. Therefore, in my opinion, if a person is responsible on work, has a good commination skill with staff and clients, can take risks and solve them, has a great vision of market, know how to find strategy for career, I think these things can help you to become a CEO.