Taking forecasting to another measure, literally.

Drop that chocolate-dipped Twinkie and give me ten push ups! In Tokyo, Japan, companies are now regulating and figuring out a way to control their employees’ diets. Japanese lawmakers have set the max waistline size to 33.5 inches, for anyone 40 and older. If these employees fail to meet the waistline requirement, they will undergo mandatory counseling with a physician.

By controlling the food in the cafeteria, companies predict that their healthy 600-calorie count meals will slim down their employees’ waistline during the annual weigh-ins. For every obese employee, the company gets punched with a fine that could rack up to 19 million dollars. The theory of this new law is that the less overweight people you have, the lower the health care costs.

Companies encourage employees to take the stairs in lieu of the elevators. Some stairwell floors even have a wall with measurements to encourage employees to jump. Twice a day, music will begin playing in the office, which signals it’s time to get up and stretch. Looks like the only project these employees will be crashing is their diet!

Do you think a system like this would work here in America, where one third of adults are either overweight or obese? Do you think companies can forecast their employees’ diets to avoid the massive fines?

21 thoughts on “Taking forecasting to another measure, literally.

1. I think what Tokyo, Japan is doing about figure regulating is a smart idea, but I’m not so sure it will work in America. For one, if Americans were really concerned about their weight they would have eaten healthier, worked out, and been concerned about their health. Also, we live in a country where it is easy to access fast and greasy food. Although, this does have to do with the workforce this could be a good motive for individuals to think twice about what they eat. I think it would be kind of difficult to forecast employees’ diets like I mentioned earlier is very easy for Americans to obtain fatty foods. In order for this to work companies must run a trial because there is no point in losing money.

2. This is a very interesting post and a concept I have never heard of before. Although at first, it sounds a bit weird, it makes a lot of sense. It sounds like a very effective way to help keep employees healthy which in turn will have a positive impact on the company overall. Also, I do not think this concept will ever be implemented in the United States, at least not anytime soon.

3. This is really interesting, but I don’t think this could ever be implemented in the workplace here. For one, it would be really difficult to get most Americans down to a 33.5 inch waist to being with. I also think the majority of people would have a big problem with being told they have to lose weight for their job, especially if it’s something sedentary like an office job. I think differences between our cultures would also create different receptions of the program; the Japanese might not protest to this as much as I think Americans would because their culture is so much more focused on the good of the group rather than the individual, as it is here.

4. This is a very interesting point that you bring up and I can’t help but agree with other comments regarding the fact that something like this would be nearly impossible to implement in America. This falls in line with the fact that coast guard recently increased the average weight of an adult American man. The cultural differences between the two countries also cause a significant problem when it comes to implementing such a program. All in all, one can say that our obesity problem is a cause for serious concern; however, people are attempting to create solutions for the problem. Check out the recently launched app called Gym-Pact which charges you money if you don’t go to the gym, but it rewards you when you do. (Article on Gym-Pact can be found here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/46073214/ )

5. Your post was very interesting, if this theory works for the Japanese employees and lowering their health cost then that’s wonderful for them but I definitely would not think this concept will work in America given that they will whatever they want to their body. The Americans would not be happy if this was implemented in their companies.

6. This is a very interesting post that raises some equally intriguing questions. If you look at the major components of weight, especially weight gain and weight loss, I believe that for the vast majority of people on this earth proper forecasting of one’s calorie intake would be an extremely successful means of managing weight and waist size. The numbers simply don’t lie, and barring extenuating circumstances like pituitary disorders, forecasting calorie counts and diets would almost certainly achieve its main goals. This however brings up some very sticky philosophical and moral issues. Who has the right to so blatantly decide what I as a free citizen can and cannot eat? even if they do have the best intentions.

7. Implementing a law that allows companies too regulate their employee’s diet may work in Japan but not in the U.S. In the U.S., Americans live a very different lifestyle. The environment in which we live in is fast paced; everyone is always on the go. The majority of Americans diets consist of greasy, fatty foods. However, I do believe that if this law was implemented in the U.S. I think it greatly benefit a company by lowering health care costs and forcing individuals to live a better and healthier lifestyle.

8. I do not think implementing this plan in America would work out too well. In countries such as Japan, employees may be more adaptable to a set diet by their employer, but Americans do not enjoy or allow their outside personal lives being controlled and micro-managed. This is the United States of America and each American should be able to choose their own diet and lifestyle, regardless of healthcare costs. My using this style of management, this company could possibly be facing a lawsuit in the US.

9. I do think that this plan would definitely work in America, but initially it would be welcomed by much backlash, especially with the older generations in the workforce. Not only would it aid in Health Care costs, but I also think it would aid in productivity and efficiency. When individuals are healthy, they work better, it’s as simple as that. Also, most Americans spend most of their days at work, so by implementing these values in the workplace, it would be easier to make these actions habits at home.

10. Implementing this concept into America’s workforce seems a little far-fetched. But I would have to agree with managements approach on this. How they regulate their meals to 600 calories or less, and how they motivate their employees to take the stairs. I think those ideas should be bought to the American workforce. And if not in every workforce, I believe this should be implemented in the critical responders such as Firemen, Paramedics, and Policemen. In that type of work, individuals should be in great shape.

11. Great job on this article! While I find the idea interesting, I highly doubt that a practice like this would ever take place in America based on societal and cultural differences. However, I think that many American companies are taking initiative on this forecasting front. One of the benefits for the company I will be working for after graduation is that they will pay for my gym membership! Other companies offer gyms within their buildings. This forecast that healthy choices will make for healthy workers means that employees will not be out sick as often and the company will have lower health care costs, along with all other types of benefits (employees might be happier due to an increase in endorphins, for one).

12. Awesome article, all I have to say about that is .. wow. its such an interesting concept for Tokyo to implement. I like how this article points our the cultural differences that we share, as many American companies are taking this whole ‘green healthy’ initiative its good to see that such practices are being implemented.. literally. What’s also interesting is that in implementing this could perpetuate a movement for better lifestyle, along with better productivity.

13. That was an interesting article and interesting concept. How ever I don’t think that would ever be able to happen in the United States. American’s don’t like be told what to do and what they can and can’t eat. I can’t believe that Japanese lawmakers have gotten involved in this policy. It sounds like a policy that a company might implement to keep their costs down.

14. This was one of the more interesting posts I’ve read. I would have to agree with most of the comments above because I doubt these company policies would ever be implemented in the United States. In my opinion, Americans could definitely use a practice like this due to our prevalent obesity problem; however I think this law would prove to be unconstitutional.

15. This was a very interesting article that brings up many issues. I do not think that this would work in America at all. Because we are one of the most obese countries, everyone in the work place would complain and bicker about this rule. Knowing how almost all Americans sue each other for these types of things, I feel as if this rule was in the workplace, the workers that did not make the cut would probably just sue their employers for judging for discrimination. It also brings up the issue of being ethical. Some people are just born with bigger body types than others and cannot help the size of their waist. The 33.5 limit is actually seems pretty small in the first place which does not make it fair to everyone. I also feel like having this rule would also make women more self conscious about their own views on themselves, which is usually a bad thing.

16. I think introducing an idea like this to America would be greeted with obscene amounts of objection. In Japan, health is universally important and it’s possible that the reason the Japanese are able to implement something like this is because it’s seen as a good thing and people are willing to sacrifice for it. Here in America, we are all about the food. No matter if it’s for the better good, I’m willing to bet that most people would not want to be told what to eat and when to eat it. It’s not so much about the health as it is about the freedom to do whatever.

17. One’s health and diet should be a matter of concern for management when staffing for positions. Nevertheless, being controlling of employees’
    diet should be noted as unethical practice. “Twice a day, music will begin playing in the office, which signals it’s time to get up and stretch”–this for example
    should be avoided since incidents could occur, which can be directed towards management for malpractice. Management should focus on management efforts in the realm of
    the daily operations within a company.

18. I think this is a really interesting post, and it is a good idea to keep employees healthy for several reasons. For one, if a company’s employees are healthy, it will definitely improve work efficiency and have a good working environment. And also, set up a standard waistline can help employees prevent various diseases such as cancer, diabetes. However, I don’t think this plan can be used in America. It is hard to push people to eat healthy food since healthy food is more expensive than junk food in America. Unlike Japan, junk food is a kind of “American-style food” and in the rush hours, junk food is cheaper and faster. Therefore, I think it will not work in America.

19. This post was both interesting, and amusing at the same time. I honestly think if we start doing that in America, we would not be the country with the most obese people. Playing music to tell you when to get up and stretch is going to make a big difference in all our lives. Today, we barely get up and stretch when sitting at our desks. For example, I started at my internship June 2011, and when August 2011 came around, I had gained 15 pounds! YIKES!

20. I found your post to be very interesting. However, I do not believe a law like such would ever work in the United States. This has discrimination/lawsuit written all over it. However, I do think it would be a good idea for companies to incorporate health conscious cafeterias and health conscious routines. I would personally both enjoy and appreciate a short break during the day to jam out and get the muscles moving and stretched.

21. Not in America you would have a lawsuit on their hands. Telling people what they cant eat and what they need to look like might fall under discrimination against fat people. You know they are just going to find a way to sue people in some way. It would be a great idea to try and keep people healthy and keep them active in the work place and makes it a little funner enviroment.